- RRA Event – Recreation Summit 2015 - November 18th, 2015 was the 5th Annual Recreation Summit held at the Smiths Falls Memorial Community Centre. Approximately 100 people attended. Most of the Speaker Presentations are available below.
Key Note Speaker – Dr. Ian Janssen, Queen's University. Perceived Risk of Unstructured Physical Activities for Children: Do our Fears Reflect Reality?
Fit Break and Networking Activity lead by Algonquin 2nd year students of the Recreation and Leisure Services program.
2nd Speaker – Peter Kells, Grace-Kells Inc. Naturalized Play Spaces and Common Sense. Provided information from a playground inspector and all the standards required of a built environment.
Economic Benefits of Rural Recreation and Leisure Services Report
- RRA Event - Let’s GOGO! III (Get Out into the Great Outdoors) was held on Thursday, April 30, 2015 at North Crosby Community Centre in Rideau Lakes. Approximately 60 people attended. The theme was on seniors recreation and the demands for services in the near future. Most of the Speaker Presentations are available below.
Key Note Speaker – Jeff Mills, Coordinator, Community Development, Mills Community. Interviewed a sampling of Baby Boomers to present what they would like to have offered for recreation services in the near future.
Key Note Speaker – Cory Hanna Personal Training Specialist and Seniors Fitness Instructor
The attendees then participated in Outdoor Activities: Group divided into 2 groups;
1. Outdoor activity demos and participation: shuffleboard, tennis, pickle balls, mini put.
2. Trail hike, tour of aero dome and return
Local Outdoor Panel:
1. Susan Smith – North Grenville Home Support Centre
2. Seniors Games – Jim Murphy
3. Rideau Lakes Senior Recreation Programming – Susan Dunfield and Russell Pchajek, local volunteer
Dr. Paula Stewart
Medical Officer of Health
Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit
*Please allow up to 48 hours for an email response.