MDS 27th Network Day – Friday, October 20th, 2017
- Where Are We Now?
- Lived Experience with Opioids and Overdose – Leila Attar
- Known Health Effects of Cannabis – Bonnie Schnittker PHN, LGLDHU
- Intersections (early intervention program) – Rachel Burns, RNJ Youth Services
- Smiths Falls Police Service (diversion program) - CTS Tompkins
Recreation Summit 2017 – Thursday, November 2nd, 2017
Recreation and Technology
Details of the event:
We have a great lineup of presenters and wish to feature our Key Note Speakers:
- Dr Michael Cheng, Psychiatrist, Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario, University of Ottawa
Why Our Brains Need Nature More Than Ever
Human brains require nature and connection to people for wellness. Unfortunately, modern society tends to disconnect us from nature and people connections, and this may explain the rising problems we are seeing with mental and physical health issues in modern societies. The good news is that there are many things we can do to reconnect our children, families and communities to nature, and to one another.
- Vicki Keith – Her story is unique. Described as an unlikely athlete, not apt to succeed in any sport, Vicki was often the last to be picked for teams in school and in play.
Vicki will take you on the journey from these unfortunate beginnings to the top of the marathon swimming world, where she became an internationally known sports figure. Vicki's stories of facing extreme exhaustion, hallucinations, sharks and jelly fish will leave you in awe. They will also help you to understand that with a positive attitude and sheer determination, anything is possible.
Vicki will then share her present day triumphs as she takes you into her life as a swim coach of young people with physical disabilities. Through these stories you will truly begin to understand that there are no limitations in life, that with hard work and determination, anyone can achieve their dreams. You will walk away from her presentation motivated and newly inspired to take on the challenges that you face each day, and prepared to begin your own journey of achieving your dreams.